Monday, January 10, 2011

Emotion and Awakening

Q:  What is the relationship between emotion and awakening?

I once thought that emotion somehow went away when one woke up, and was replaced by constant bliss, or something like that.  Pretty silly, now that I think of it.  But I think that belief was encouraged by some teachers who seem to look upon emotional states as illusory.  My experience is that I definitely still experience emotion -- both positive and negative.  What seems to have changed is my judgments about emotion.  There seems to be an allowance for all kinds of feelings.  So-called "negative feelings," such as sadness, don't have to be gotten rid of.  In a way, I can just enjoy them as part of existence, in the same say that we experience the sad emotions in a work of art as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments from readers who want to mutually explore Truth as we at the same time remember that the words are just fingers pointing...